Woman Knocked off Connecticut Interstate in Accident in Critical Condition

Woman Knocked off Connecticut Interstate in Accident in Critical ConditionDuring a multi-vehicle accident on I-684 in Connecticut, a 23-year-old woman from Tennessee was knocked off the overpass and sustained major injuries, LoHud News reports.

According to the news source, the woman, Elaine Staggs, was found in a marsh almost 25 feet below the highway on Monday, August 1, where rescue crews had to travel down to rescue her. Staggs was standing near another car on the highway in Greenwich, Connecticut, when the accident occurred.

Emergency medical responders had to rappel down the overpass to administer immediate treatment to Staggs, who they then hooked into the rope and raised to the road. A stretcher was waiting, and she was rushed to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, the media outlet stated.

Staggs remained in the hospital, where she was listed in critical condition, having received fractures in at least one of her legs.

Connecticut State Police stated that Staggs’ 2010 Mazda reportedly crashed into a 2000 Chevrolet just before 7:30 p.m. on August 1. The Chevrolet, driven by Richard Heaton of Queens, was allegedly sitting on the right shoulder of the southbound lanes of I-684, and protruding into the right lane of traffic.

After the crash, Staggs was standing near Heaton’s car when a third vehicle, a 2008 Buick driven by New Rochelle city judge, reportedly lost control and veered into the shoulder, crashing into the at-rest cars. Heaton received minor injuries from the collision with the Buick, the news provider stated.

City Judge Preston Scher suffered minor bruising in the accident and did not need to be taken to a hospital.

While the report remains under investigation, initial assessments made by the Connecticut State Police stated foul weather may have contributed to the crash.

A second serious crash in occurred in Ridgefield, Connecticut, recently that left one teenager dead, the News Times reports.

According to the news source, Jacqueline Brice was killed when she allegedly slammed into a tree early Thursday, August 4, after she crossed the median line on a slight curve and ran off the roadway. The Ridgefield Police Department stated that the vehicle was almost “unrecognizable” from the impact.

Members of the investigation team have stated that while speed was certainly a factor, it is unclear how fast Brice was traveling prior to the accident.