Speed, Alcohol Thought to Have Played Role in Car Accident that Killed Elroy Woman

An Elroy woman died last weekend when the car she was driving in crashed into a metal pole.Though the long Labor Day holiday weekend has already passed, police officers around the U.S. have not scaled back their efforts to ensure that roadways are safe for drivers. Police departments tend to deploy additional officers during holiday weekends, when vehicular accidents have historically edged up, but an accident occurring last weekend underscored the difficulties facing police forces as they combat traffic accidents.

According to a report from The Arizona Republic, a single vehicle accident occurred on Saturday morning, September 10, resulting in the death of an Arizona native.

The car accident is said to have taken place early in the morning on Saturday, when a 40-year-old woman, who was a passenger of a car, suffered serious injuries after the vehicle she was riding in lost control.

Police reports indicate the woman, Rebekah Rose Householder, a resident of Elroy, was sitting in the passenger seat of a 1995 Chevy Corsica at the time of the crash. According to reports, the car Householder was a passenger in lost control. The operator of the vehicle is said to have been attempting to make a right turn from Jimmie Kerr Boulevard onto Pearl Rode.

After the car lost control, the alleged operator, 22-year-old Whitney Marie Rees, is reported to have struck a metal pole head-on. Householder is said to have sustained significant injuries as a result of the car crash, and reports show she was unconscious and not breathing following the crash.

Police officers have not conclusively identified a cause in the crash, but two Pinal County Sheriff’s Office Posse members witnessed Rees’ car traveling at a high rate of speed, according to reports. A motorist who was not involved in the accident is said to have estimated the car was traveling at roughly 100 miles per hour.

Though crews that arrived on the scene attempted to revive her, according to the news provider, their efforts failed. The sheriff’s office said she was later pronounced dead as a result of the injuries sustained during the crash.

Rees was also injured during the car accident. The Republic reports she was airlifted to Maricopa Medical Center with serious, although not life-threatening, injuries.

Authorities acknowledged that evidence they observed at the scene of the accident indicated both alcohol and speed could have played a role in the accident. Officers who responded to the incident took blood samples from Rees for testing by the Arizona Department of Public Safety, according to The Republic.