Phoenix Hit and Run Accident Leaves One Dead

On the night of Thursday August 2, 2012, Phoenix police responded to a dispatch regarding a fight in a bar located in north Phoenix, near 32nd Street and Cactus Road. The fight, which broke out at 12:30 a.m. was broken up peacefully and several people left the bar without further incident. One man was seen leaving in a taxi.

About an hour later, one of the same police officers was called to investigate reports of a body found in the middle of Bell Road near 40th Street. The officer determined the body was that of the same man who had left the bar fight in the taxi an hour before.

The man, thought to be in his 30s, was taken to a Phoenix area hospital where he was pronounced dead, an apparent victim of a hit and run accident. The body was reportedly found with a severe head injury. It is believed that the man was struck by a vehicle while walking.

Hit and Run Accidents Not Uncommon For Pedestrians

A hit and run accident results when one of the responsible parties leaves the scene without identifying themselves. Leaving the scene of an accident can not only result in revocation or suspension of your driver’s license, but can also become a criminal offense punishable by imprisonment.

According to a study performed by the American Automobile Association (AAA) ( Foundation for Traffic Safety, 11 percent of all car accidents in the United States involve a hit and run driver.

American Automobile AssociationAAA also reports that a total of 14,914 people were involved in a fatal hit and run crash in the United States from 1994 to 2003. Of note in this case, is that pedestrians face an even greater risk with about 60 percent of hit and run fatality victims being pedestrians. The data also shows that the hours between 9 p.m. and 3.a.m. are the most likely time for a pedestrian to become involved in a fatal hit and run incident. The night time hours are when 47 percent of these accidents occur.

Phoenix police are investigating the incident. Roads in the area between 40th and 44th Streets were shut down while police conducted a hit and run investigation.