Mother Sues Over Gas Can Explosion That Injures Son

Mother sues over gas can explosion that injures sonA Tennessee woman recently filed a personal injury lawsuit against the manufacturer of a gas can her son was using when it exploded and allegedly caused him serious injuries.

Diana Trevino's son, Dylan, poured several drops of gasoline from a gas can manufactured by defendant Blitz U.S.A. onto the embers of a bonfire that had been lit the previous night, according to the Columbia Daily Herald. The embers reignited and caused the gas can to explode, leading to serious injuries for Trevino. He allegedly sustained third-degree burns on 66 percent of his body, had to have nearly all of his small intestine removed and had to have his right hand amputated, the personal injury suit states.

Trevino claims that the gas can was defective and unsafe, as it did not have a flame suppression device that would have prevented the explosion and the resulting injuries to her 5-year-old son. Trevino and her personal injury attorney have requested a jury trial. She is reportedly seeking more than $75,000 in damages.

According to WebMD, third-degree burns affect the epidermis, dermis, and underlying tissue. Third-degree burns appear as white or blackened skin that looks charred and may be numb.