Mother Sues Casino Over Son’s Alleged Secondhand Smoke Death

Mother Sues Casino Over Son's Alleged Secondhand Smoke DeathA mother whose son allegedly died after 15 years of secondhand smoke exposure while working at Harrah's New Orleans Hotel and Casino as a card dealer has filed a toxic substances lawsuit against the business.

Denise Bevrotte claims that her son, Maceo Bevrotte Jr., died of cancer that was directly caused by long-term secondhand smoke exposure while working in the gaming area, where Harrah's clients are allegedly allowed and sometimes encouraged to smoke, Reuters reports. The casino sells and sometimes gives away cigars and cigarettes on the gaming floor, the toxic substances lawsuit alleges, and does not allow workers like Bevrotte to request that patrons not smoke, blow smoke away from the table or move their ashtrays.

By creating these conditions, Harrah's ignored studies on the dangers of secondhand smoke, and its policy was "driven by a desire to maximize profits at the expense of its employees' health and safety," the suit says.

The class-action suit covers an estimated 1,000 non-smoking employees of Harrah's who were, are or will be exposed to second-hand smoke in the workplace, the news provider reports.

According to Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights, Louisiana passed a law in 2007 that mandated workplaces and restaurants be completely smoke-free.