Man Sues Taco Bell Over Salmonella

Man sues Taco Bell over salmonellaA Michigan man who claims he contracted a rare strain of Salmonella after dining at Taco Bell has sued the fast-food chain's parent company, as well as the franchiser of the restaurant.

Gary Erdman ate at the Taco Bell in question in June 2010, and allegedly became severely ill after the meal, according to the Grand Rapids Press. He then tested positive for a rare strain of Salmonella, which the personal injury suit claims he was exposed to through dining at the establishment. 

"Mr. Erdman has endured large hospital bills and great deal of unnecessary pain and suffering," his personal injury attorney stated, adding that he is entitled to be compensated by the defendants for "what he has lost" as a result of their conduct. 

In August 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a warning about a multistate outbreak of Salmonella infection. The agency stated that dining at a "Mexican-style fast food restaurant chain" was associated with becoming ill as a result of exposure to one of two rare Salmonella serotypes – Salmonella Hartford and Salmonella Baildon.