Man Sues Restaurant Over Digestive Injuries

Man sues restaurant over digestive injuriesA Miami doctor recently filed a personal injury lawsuit against a restaurant that allegedly served him a dish containing ingredients that could not safely be digested.

Arturo Carvajal ordered a dish of grilled artichokes from Houston's Restaurant in Miami, Florida, MyFoxNY.com reports. He claims he was not told of the proper way to consume an artichoke, and that the restaurant's staff did not inform him of the medical risks associated with eating the outer leaves of the vegetable.

Soon after ingesting these leaves, Carvajal allegedly experienced severe abdominal pain and discomfort. An exploratory procedure performed on the plaintiff's bowel found a blockage consisting of the outer leaves, the news source reports.

The personal injury lawsuit claims that the restaurant's staff were negligent in not informing patrons of the fact that consuming the outer leaves could cause adverse medical consequences.

Carvajal's personal injury attorney said, "It takes a sophisticated diner to be familiar with the artichoke. People might think that as a doctor, he'd know how to eat one. But he was thinking it was like a food he might have eaten in his native Cuba, where you eat everything on the plate."