Man Claims Exposure To Pigeon Droppings Caused Histoplasmosis

Man Claims Exposure To Pigeon Droppings Caused HistoplasmosisA man who worked on the Soo Locks in Detroit has filed a personal injury lawsuit against his former employers, claiming that prolonged exposure to pigeon droppings on the job caused him to develop a fungal infection.

The fungal infection that Bruce Harrison claims defendants Grand Trunk Western Railroad Co. and Canadian National/Illinois Central Railroad are responsible for is known as histoplasmosis, the Detroit News reports. According to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, histoplasmosis is a fungus that resides in pigeon droppings, and can cause fatigue, fever and chest pains in those who inhale spores due to exposure to the droppings.

"It's all over the bridges and stuff, and they didn't really take care of cleaning it off very well or give respiratory or breathing protection," his personal injury attorney explained.

Harrison is now unable to work because of this infection, his suit states. He seeks damages from the two companies for medical expenses, pain and suffering, humiliation and lost wages, the news provider reports.