Liberian Refugees Sue Landlord Over Granddaughter’s Death

Liberian Refugees Sue Landlord Over Granddaughter's Death  A couple that moved to Des Moines, Iowa, from Liberia as refugees in 2004 have filed a personal injury lawsuit against their landlord, who they blame for their 10-year-old granddaughter's death in a house fire.

Sieh and Annie Toffoi claim that the fire, which started in another apartment due to a lit cigarette, caused Czu Toffoi to die from smoke inhalation a day after she was removed from the burning building, according to The Associated Press. The Toffois allegedly sustained severe burns and permanent injury due to smoke inhalation.

The personal injury lawsuit states that the landlord is to blame for the incident because the windows in the plaintiffs' apartment were either sealed or painted shut, or never intended to be opened.

"They fled from Africa to save their granddaughter’s life, only to come here and have this happen. It’s just one of the saddest cases I’ve ever worked on," their personal injury attorney said.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, more than 4,000 Americans die and more than 25,000 are injured in fires every year.