Lawsuit Blames Alcohol Wipes for Meningitis

Lawsuit Blames Alcohol Wipes for MeningitisThe parents of a 2-year-old boy who died of acute bacterial meningitis have filed a personal injury lawsuit against the manufacturer of the alcohol wipes that they claim transmitted the bacterium causing the infection.

Sandra and Shanoop Kothari claim their son was recovering from surgery to remove a benign cyst from near his brain and spinal cord, but one day before he was set to be discharged, his condition rapidly deteriorated, he experienced multi-organ failure and died on December 1, 2010, according to MSNBC. Cultures reportedly showed he had died of acute bacterial meningitis caused by Bacillus cereus.

One month later, the Kotharis found notice of a recall on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website notifying them that Triad Group had recalled a series of its alcohol prep products due to contamination with the same bacterium. The personal injury lawsuit claims that Harrison Kothari was treated with these wipes during his hospital stay.

The parents accuse Triad of gross negligence in distributing the contaminated products, and seek damages for the loss of their son's life.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bacterial meningitis, or the inflammation of the tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord due to a bacterial infection, is often more severe than viral meningitis. With appropriate antibiotic treatment, the risk of dying from the disease can be brought to 15 percent or less.