Family Seeks $50,000 From Hotel Owners Over Man’s Death in Fire

Family Seeks $50,000 From Hotel Owners Over Man's Death in FireThe family of an Illinois man who died in a hotel fire has filed a $50,000 personal injury lawsuit against the lodging establishment's owners, claiming that smoke detectors in the rooms didn't work.

The family of Jeffrey Shaw, 47, says that he died in June of 2009 when a fire occurred in the Econo Inn in Galesburg, the Galesburg Register-Mail reports. Narendra and Harshna Dubal, the hotel's owners, allegedly failed to provide working smoke detectors in the rooms and failed to properly inspect them to ensure they were connected to the proper wiring. As a result of this negligence, Shaw died in the fire, the suit states.

Though the Dubals did not comment on the lawsuit, they told authorities after the fire that some guests choose to disconnect smoke detectors themselves in order to smoke in their rooms.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, someone died in a fire in 2009 approximately every 175 minutes, with approximately 40 percent of these deaths occurring in homes without smoke alarms.