Family of Woman Hit by Tour Bus Files Lawsuit

The family of a Chicago woman who was hit by a bus while walking through a crosswalk has sued the bus company. The family of a woman who was killed after a tour bus hit her in a Chicago neighborhood earlier this month has filed a wrongful death suit against the bus company.

The suit argues that Pontarelli Group Charters should not have hired the driver, David Soto, as he had previously been accused of sexually assaulting two young girls. In addition, the suit claims that the company should have known of Soto's alleged cocaine use, as police say he had the drug his system on the day of the accident that caused the death of Justyna Palka.

Court records also show Soto had been ticketed for 20 traffic violations between 1988 and 2008.

The victim was less than a half mile from her home when she was struck by the bus on May 3. Witnesses said Palka had the right of way and was in a crosswalk when the accident occurred.

Soto was charged with aggravated DUI resulting in death and is being held without bond in the Cook County Jail.

Only days after Palka's death, another tour bus in New York City hit and killed a pedestrian on May 7. Authorities said the driver had been driving drunk and was charged with vehicular manslaughter.