5 Highly Toxic Substances In Your Home Right Now

The Centers for Disease Control estimates there are 2 million poison exposures in the United States each year. A vast majority of these poisonings involve children under the age of six years. Our homes contain a number of toxic substances that we simply take for granted or do not realize the hazardous nature of the substance. The key to preventing accidental exposure to toxic substances is to know what can be dangerous and making sure the chance for exposure is minimized. Here is a look at the five most toxic substances may be in your home right now.

Medicine

Prescription and non-prescription drugs can be deadly if they are in the hands of a child. Narcotics are not the only medicines that can be dangerous. The best way to prevent medicine accidents is to lock them in a secure childproof case or to place them well out of the reach of children.

Cleaning Supplies

Cleaning supplies are often a toxic brew of substances that range from acids to bases and everything in between. Many are life threatening if ingested and can cause skin irritation, eye irritation or even chemical burns. All cleaning fluids and supplies should be kept in one secure location in the home to prevent injury. They should also retain their original labels so the ingredients are clear.

Paint

We can never truly know the type of materials used in our home before we purchased it unless we built it ourselves. It is always good to assume that there could be hidden dangers such as lead paint or asbestos (in older homes). Always inspect paint on the walls and be sure to clean up any paint chips from cracking or peeling paint.

Drain Cleaner

Sodium hydroxide is the main ingredient in drain clearing agents. It is highly toxic in solid and liquid forms. Drain cleaner should be used in its entirety or kept in a very safe place with labels. It can cause serious irreversible poisoning and skin burns.

Pesticides

When you use ant traps, spray pesticides or have an exterminator visit your home it is prudent to be aware of the toxicity level in the pesticides being used. Whenever possible, try to use pesticides that are quickly broken down. If that is not possible, keep them well out of the reach of pets and children.

Sources:
http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/toxic.htm
http://www.edf.org/health/where-are-toxic-chemicals-your-home