South Carolina Medical Malpractice Case Ends in $2.4 Million Award

South Carolina Medical Malpractice Case Ends in $2.4 Million AwardIn what is believed to be the largest civil verdict in the history of Pickens County, South Carolina, a jury has given $2.4 million to a man whose wife was allegedly killed as the result of gynecological surgery, the Anderson Independent Mail reports.

According to the news source, Michael Blair stated on Monday, March 12, that he was pleased with the outcome of the trial, which had been ongoing for about a week. This medical malpractice case was tried before Judge D. Garrison Hill.

“She was the best thing that ever happened to me,” said Blair, who had been married to Rita for about three years when she was killed. “I still miss her every day.”

The lawsuit stated Rita Blair of Six Mile died at Palmetto Health Baptist Hospital in Easley on November 12, 2007, roughly three weeks after she underwent surgery that was performed by Dr. John M. Warren. In the trial, Blair’s medical malpractice attorneys contended that Warren perforated Rita Blair’s bowel in the course of the surgery, and that treatment of the problem was delayed. This delay, they said, ultimately resulted in her death.

According to the National Library of Medicine, gastrointestinal perforation occurs when a hole develops through the entire wall of the stomach, small intestine, large bowel or gallbladder, and is considered a medical emergency.

Warren’s defense argued that the bowel injury was a risk of the procedure, and stated timely diagnosis and treatment of the problem was indeed provided, however the jury did not side with their argument. Pickens County Clerk of Court Pat Wellborn told the news provider the $2.4 million verdict is the largest award he can remember from a lawsuit in the county.

  • Google Plus
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • NewsVine