A medical malpractice lawsuit filed against a nursing home over a patient's paralysis has recently been settled for an undisclosed sum.
Gertrude Kash was admitted to the Jewish Home in Rochester, New York, in 2006, following a fall in her home that resulted in a concussion, the Messenger Post reports. According to the medical malpractice lawsuit, Kash allegedly became paralyzed three weeks into her stay due to alleged negligence on the part of the staff. Though Kash was supposed to be catheterized nightly, a nurse allegedly neglected to insert the catheter one night. Kash attempted to use the restroom by herself, but fell, sustaining back injuries. A bed alarm had been ordered for Kash but had allegedly not been placed by her bed at the time of the incident.
Six nights later, Kash allegedly fell again. Though a CT scan showed she had a fractured vertebra, she was only given pain medication to address this condition, according to the medical malpractice lawsuit. A family doctor then came to the home to inspect Kash and determined that she had spinal cord damage and was paralyzed from the chest down, the lawsuit claims. By the time she was taken to a hospital, the spinal cord damage was irreversible.
According to the Mayo Clinic, urgent medical attention is critical in minimizing the adverse effects of a spinal cord injury; treatment often begins at the scene of the accident.